We all love horses, and we all know how important they are, but here’s a selection of interesting equestrian facts that you might not have known, taken from the British Equestrian Trade Association (BETA) National Survey 2015.
The horseracing sector in the UK is huge. Throughout the history of Britain, the horse has always played an extremely important part, right at the very heart of our society. It has been an extremely valuable and prolific form of transportation for people, goods and services. It has helped our agricultural industry develop into what it is today. It has played an invaluable role in Britain’s war effort around the world. And more recently, it is at the centre of the second biggest spectator sport in the country.
However, as important as these contributions have been, probably the most important part is the amount of joy that it has brought to so many people’s lives. Below is a list of interesting equestrian facts that show just how much this wonderful colleague and companion is involved in our culture.
10 Equestrian Facts:
1. The equestrian sector is valued at £4.3bn of consumer spending across a wide range of goods and services each year.
2. Of all equestrian activities, riding for pleasure is the most popular at 96%.
3. A total of 2.7 million people in the UK ride, of which 1.3 million ride regularly.
4. Females represent 74% of the riding population with an estimated 962,000 female regular riders compared with 348,000 males.
5. An estimated 3 million people have taken a riding holiday in the past 12 months.
6. There are an estimated 446,000 horse-owning households in the country.
7. The number of horses in Britain stands at 944,000 in 2015.
8. There are 19 million equestrian consumers in Britain with a range of associated interests.
9. In 2015, indirect spending on equestrian items such as hats and body protectors, clothing, books and magazines stands at £560 million.
10. An estimated £3,600 is spent on each horse.
Equestrian facts source: BETA National Equestrian Survey 2015
So there you have it. Surprised by any of the results? It goes to show the extent that this most majestic of creatures affects the everyday lives of our population.
About NRT Horse Transport
If you are a horse owner and are looking for help with equine transportation, give us a call for a chat. NRT Horse Transport is a highly professional, fully certified horse transportation company that can safely, securely and comfortably transport horses throughout the UK, Europe and the rest of the world.
If you’d like to find out more give us a call on 01638 663155, or click here.