The Racehorse Transporters Association (RTA) is the trade association that represents UK and Irish equine transporters. Working in association with the Thoroughbred Breeders’ Association, it offers quality control to the industry and support to its members. NRT Horse Transport is proud to be a Council Member.
Transporting racehorses is a delicate operation. Thoroughbreds are notoriously highly-strung and therefore transporting them without the proper experience and expertise could result in serious injury for your horse. This in turn can result in emotional trauma for both horse and owner, not to mention the financial implications.
It is for this reason that anyone transporting horses in a box that weighs over 3.5 tonnes is required by law to possess either a Department of Transport Open Operator’s Licence or a Restricted Operator’s Licence. On top of this, a DEFRA Specific Authorisation Number is also required.
What does the Racehorse Transporters Association do?
The Racehorse Transporters Association (RTA) offers customers peace of mind by ensuring that all of their members comply with a number of strict conditions. Below is a full list, taken from their website:
- 1. Where members operate vehicles of over 3½ tonnes, that they have the appropriate Operator’s Licences.
- 2. That members are registered with the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs as competent to transport horses.
- 3. That members operate within the guidelines of a set of Terms and Conditions of Trading. The RTA has its own industry-standard set available to members.
- 4. That members operate within the Law regarding the use and record keeping of tachographs and maintenance records, and that their vehicles are roadworthy, taxed, insured and have the appropriate Department of Transport certificates.
- 5. That members employ competent individuals both as drivers and grooms, and that the drivers have the correct licences and the grooms have the appropriate Certificates of Competence.
On top of this, the RTA offers all of its members regular expert advice and support. It provides updates on changes to legislation, advice on contagious diseases and also priority booking on certain ferry routes. All of this ensures that every one of its members is perfectly equipped to provide its customers with a safe, comfortable, professional and efficient service.
What is NRT Horse Transport’s Role?
As a Council Member of the Racehorse Transporters Association, NRT Horse Transport actively works to offer advice to members about all aspects of equine transport. With this in mind, you can rest assured that we are experts in our field and always keep on top of the latest trends, news, legislation and technology.
If you would like to find out more about how we can help transport your horse, get in touch for a chat on 01638 663155, or click here.